DAK - A new army for Bolt Action

Yes I've decided to start yet another Bolt Army to add to my Late War Panzergrenadiers, British Paras and British Regulars ... Here come Rommel's Deutsches Afrikakorps!

I've only taken a couple of work in progress shots.  Here you can see that I have just gone for tidy block colours on top of AP Desert Yellow spray.

The DAK uniforms were initially based on the tropical issue uniform but a combination of blistering sunshine and heat, wear and tear and supply issues meant that the uniforms varied from brand new field grey or tropical green, through a range of sandy greens, right through to almost pale sand.  The main colours I used were Foundry Moss shade/mid/light, Foundry Drab mid/light, VMC German Field Grey, VMC Grey Green, Foundry Boneyard shade.  Other items were as follows:-

  • Flesh - Foundry Flesh mid
  • Rifle - GW Mournfang Brown
  • Boots - GW Scorched Brown
  • Straps - VMC Leather brown (or Boneyard Shade for darker jackets)
  • Bread bag - VMC Russian Uniform
  • Trousers - mainly undercoat, but a few in 'jacket' colours
  • Jackets/helmets/caps - as above

Then a quick wash with Agrax Earthshade, followed by highlights in the original colours.  When highlighting post-wash I found that where I'd left the undercoat desert yellow, mainly trousers and helmets, a good highlight colour was Foundry Boneyard shade, thinned a little so as not to make the highlight too bold.

The figures are mainly based on pennies, so I had to apply a little putty to hide the 'step' of the figure's base.

My basing recipe here is slightly different from my Peninsular figures/scenery as I wanted a different, more North African, sandy look.  It's Americana Country Maple as a base, then highlights of Americana Tan, VMC Dark Sand and Foundry Boneyard light.

Looking at contemporary pics of the battlefields today (many have changed little) you see quite a lot of small, dark, scrubby plants so my bases have a few dry grass tufts and a little clumps of dark green clump foilage, but no static grass.

I've wanted a DAK force for along time to be honest.  Good chum Orange Dave has Eighth Army so it seemed the decent thing to do to give him opponents in the right outfits.  Also, Warlord have a new Western Desert campaign book coming out in September.  I'm hoping our other good chums Mike, Steve, Nigel, etc will join in the fun :o)

Comments