Petrol Station

Continuing with the theme of shops for my World War Two collection I decided to add a (mini) petrol station.  Here it is...
More of a 'petrol shed' really!
I've built it to be used stand-alone or butted up to another building.  Here it is next to my newly painted Tabac.

The 'shed' is made from a foam-core box covered in coffee stirrers (it's the only thing I use them for as I don't have sugar in hot drinks!), the door frames are matchsticks and the windows are spares from another MDF kit.  The roof is corrugated plasti-card.


Rummaging through the bits box I found some resin crates and a barrel.  The splendid petrol pump is from 1st Corps here.  The cobbles are pieces of textured wallpaper.

I primed it using Halfords grey primer then set to with my brushes ... The green woodwork is Foundry Storm Green, washed with GW Agrax, highlighted with the base colour then Foundry Dragoon Green shade and mid.

The roof was painted using the Foundry Slate Grey triad whilst the cobbles are the Foundry Stone triad.

I wanted the shed to look a bit dilapidated so I painted some rusty areas on the roof using a base of Foundry Conker Brown, then adding yellow to the base to get a range of orange colours.

I added a 'new' piece of roof to cover the big rusty section.

The paint scheme for the pump was based on pics from Google.  When I find my box of Sharpie pens I'll add the "SHELL" lettering to the top of the pump.

The ground was painted using VMC 983, 877 and 847 with some of Colonel Bill's summer static grass plus a few tufts.  The crates are Americana Dark Chocolate, GW Agrax then highlights of Americana Milk Chocolate and Foundry Bay shade, GW Agrax then highlights of the base followed by a light drybrush of Foundry Boneyard mid.  The oil drum is VMC Russian Green, Agrax, then a highlight of the base colour.

Some vintage Shell and Michelin signs add a bit of extra character.

The bicycle came out of my bits box too.

Comments