Warlord Celts

Although very busy in recent months I have managed to plod on with my Warlord Celt army, albeit rather too slowly. This is my first foray in the world of dipping and to be honest it's proved more work than I expected, but I am quite pleased with the results. I now have more than 100 models in various states of completion, all are dipped and mostly matt varnished, and about 20-30 are complete. The rest need basing properly and the shield transfers applied. Here's a few pics of the work so far.

The army
TITLE
(click for a larger image)

Cavalry and dogs
TITLE
(click for a larger image)

Cavalry
TITLE
(click for a larger image)

The infantry, including some slingers and skirmishers.
TITLE
(click for a larger image)

Mostly Warlord Games figures, with a few Black Tree Design, Gripping Beast and the odd Foundry model. All up that's approx 1,000pts and should prove good opposition for my 1,000pt EIR force. The time consuming part was painting the stripes and checks. To be honest I've now reached the point where I'm rather fed up with this army so it will be taking a back seat for a while. It's not just that I'm bored with Celts, it's the whole basic painting and dipping process. Let me explain... I paint models because I enjoy painting them (in my now familiar 3-4 colour Foundry-esque style) and the effort of painting 100+ figures in a basic style then dipping, etc, has rather taken the fun out of painting. Don't get me wrong though, the dipping method is very effective for getting a decent looking force ready for the table, but it does necessitate a production line approach to your hobby. Perhaps I should have taken breaks part way through.

Tip - make sure that you shake your can of Army Painter Anti-shine varnish really, really well - like until your arm aches (no jokes please!). I did not do this with one batch of figures and the first few I sprayed went slightly "cloudy".

Not sure what I'll paint next, may be some more WW1 as I really fancy playing The Great War. Did briefly look in to getting a small collection of WW2 figures for skirmish games - this was mainly due to the research I've started doing for our holiday to Normandy later in the year. However, I've put that off in favour of expanding my WW1 collection, especially as I have the excellent rules from Warhammer Historical.

Perhaps I'll do some modelling or terrain building too. Seriously considering chopping up my four 4'x2' modular boards and making a WW1 battlefield. The 2" deep foam used in the construction of the boards would make for excellent trenches. I originally intended the boards to be for either Middle Earth (for GW LotR) or peninsular Spain (for Naps skirmish), neither of which I play much. They do look good, but WW1 demands trenches and craters, and the 'sticking up from the table' variety look odd IMHO. So the boards may well be converted for other duties. Whatever I get up to I'll post pics and reports here.

Comments

  1. Very nice! I think you are particularly good with checks, I lack the brush skills myself. You should finish the army, they will look great, fully based...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive blog. I liked it.
    wow gold

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment