Trees for The Great War

There are many pictures from the Great War that show once leafy woodlands reduced to blasted tree stumps surrounded by mud, so with that image in mind I set about making some for the gaming table. Rather than steam ahead and make lots I thought I'd make a test piece to see if the finished result looked good enough.

The stumps are made from bits of an old shrub I found in the garden. It was so tough I had to break the stems with pliers! I sawed some of the ends so as to give a good bond with the base. The base is simply a piece of 3mm MDF liberally covered in filler. Later it was covered in a mix of sand and grit.

TITLE
(click for a larger image)


Here's the finished article.

TITLE
(click for a larger image)


The base was painted in Vallejo Leather Brown and then liberally dry-brushed with Flat Earth. Then I added a couple of highlights with a light brown and a cream colour. After that came a light garnish of static grass and a few pieces of scenic foliage.

Here's a few of my BEF making their way across no man's land.

TITLE
(click for a larger image)


Now I need to get on and make another two or three sections. Also, more painted figures soon.

Comments

  1. Lovely stunted forest mate, just awesome. The only thing I can think that its missing is some deep muddy holes, but probably because most of the pics I have seen are of the Somme.

    Awesome stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A simple idea, but very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, I'm going to borrow this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chaps!

    This was basically a test piece. For the next 2-3 I'm planning to add some muddy craters, odd bits of corrugated iron, barbed wire, rubble, etc.

    Cheers

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice Matt. The next ones sound even better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice trees! They remind me of my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic work...you have an excellent blog! Well done sir!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment