"Arthur" - Mk IV Male Tank

As mentioned in my previous post, I've been painting a Great War Miniatures Mk IV Male Tank for my BEF. All pictures are clickable.




It was surprisngly simple to paint and I'm quite pleased with the results. Here's my recipe.

Black undercoat (make sure you cover any little gaps!)
Base coat all the green/brown areas with GW Charadon Granite.
Highlight these areas by heavily drybrushing with Foundry Drab shade. The heavier effect is best achieved by several successive lighter applications of paint.
Apply a very light second highlight (with a large, soft brush) of Foundry Drab mid.
Tidy up the remaining black areas, i.e. the tracks and exhaust, etc
Tracks and HMGs are just given a very light drybrush of GW Boltgun Metal.
The exhaust was painted using Foundry Tan shade, followed Foundry Tan mid.
The tank number and name are just painted in white. I was pleased with the 'A17' on the flanks, but a little disappointed with the lettering for the tank name - but as this would have been added by the crew I think a little untidiness is ok.

I may yet do some weathering but for now it's done. Next up will be my Signal Staff followed by the last platoon required to complete my 1918 army.

Comments

  1. Looks great, Matt! Not tempted to mes it up a bit with mud and rust? I love that rust powder one can brush on...

    Cheers, Simon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice work. She's a beaut. Best,Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic work Matt!! I have a couple to do very soon, so great timing for me with the painting tips. Very very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats some nice work right there! I'm a big fan of keeping it simple and the breakdown you give for the painting is exactly that, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely looking landship!!!
    Cheers
    paul

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many thanks for the kind comments chaps! :o)

    @BigRedBat - Rust powder? I may try a bit of weathering/rust with paint when I drum up the courage!?

    @Rodger - Glad the description is of use to you. Look forward to seeing your tanks.

    Regards

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cracking work Matt,I look forwrad to trying to destroy with my Big Bertha sometime ;-)
    You might want to try painting the tracks Dark Brown as opposed to black as the steel tracks would go a dark rust, then do your boltgun dry brush

    ReplyDelete
  8. @AirCav - Glad you like it! Your Big Bertha is most welcome to try :o)
    Thanks for the tip about the tracks.

    Cheers

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing - as I've said before, it leaves me feeling a bit dissatisfied with my toylike painting techniques.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment