Bases for the BEF

As I mentioned in the last post, I wanted to do something slightly different for the bases of my latest batch of BEF. For bases I usually do something like PVA glue, some coarse sand/grit, followed by ordinary beach sand. Then it's base-coated a muddy brown and highlighted with 2 - 3 lighter brown or cream colours. To finish, add a garnish of static grass!

So I decided to try doing a little pile of rubble. I also thought about adding some corrugated iron and possibly some barbed wire, but I did not want the bases looking too 'busy'. Here's my first efforts.



I think that the addition of some iron and wire would have been Ok. I may do this for my Germans or any further British. Also, the rubble is a little too 'new'. But I'm still quite pleased with the results. Anyway, hope you like them.

In answer to Sidney's question ... The two-figure bases are going to form the core of each of my Company Command groups. I've done them like this so as to make it easy to spot the command group when playing 'The Great War'.

And finally ...


I couldn't resist adding a picture of the (Scarab Miniatures) "Ernest carrying wounded comrade" figure now that they're based ;o)

Comments

  1. Those look great! I love the brick rubble. Very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Splendid stuff, Matt. I think the rubble looks really good. There were plenty of destroyed buildings on or around many of the battlefields, so I think rubble fits in fairly well. I really like the two-man bases. It makes them so much easier to see at a glance on the table. In summary, these chaps are looking really first class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very very impressed with these guys. The basing is just wonderful Matt. The rubble is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Matt, cracking stuff as always.
    Try giving the rubble a couple of washes of brown/green & or black till your happy with the look, then a quick rehighlight or even add some fine sand to the piles to look like cement mud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to everyone for your kind words. As ever, I'm delighted to read your comments.

    @Keith - I think I'll give that a whirl. Would make the bricks look that little bit more aged and worn. (like me sometimes!)

    Cheers

    Matt

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment