Shieldwall Counters

Have you ever played a game where you had to improvise a counter or token to denote a unit's status? Perhaps a D6 is placed next to the unit to indicate that it is disordered or shaken. Then have you ever, in the cut-and-thrust of battle, grabbed a handful of dice only to later realise that you've also picked up the marker dice? I certainly have! :o)

This is particularly true for units in Shieldwall given the amount of Dark Ages games I've played in the last few months. Therefore I've spent an evening using up some spare shields and transfers to make these counters.


These are the Saxon counters

And these are the Viking counters


They're just 25mm round MDF bases (from Warbases) to which I've glued some rocks and grit/sand. The rocks are there to provide something to prop the shields against and make the bases a little more three dimensional. They're painted black, then highlighted with the Foundry Slate Grey palette followed by a final highlight of white. The shields are given LBMS transfers and the bases flocked to match the rest of the figures. Looking at them again I see that I could easily add some discarded weapons, armour, etc, but I suppose that I really ought to get back to painting more figures!

Comments