My First Germans

At long last I have started painting my Great War German army for the Western Front!

As with any new gaming project I like to paint a couple of test figures first, just to make sure I've got the colours right, etc.

Here's a soldier and a junior officer.

From behind.

The figures are Great War Miniatures.

Painting scheme was
1. Black undercoat
2. Uniform, Foundry Granite Shade, then Foundry Granite mid.
3. Skin, Foundry Flesh, shade, mid, light
4. Blanket, Foundry Rawhide shade, then mid.
5. Leather, various colours but Foundry Bay Brown shade, followed by a mix of Bay mid and Foundry Scarlet gave a good rich leather finish. Also used Foundry Deep Brown Leather, and Vallejo Leather Brown.
6. Boots & belts, quick highlight with Foundry Slate Grey shade.
7. Pistol & Rifle, very light highlight with GW Boltgun metal.

All comments welcome! Do you think the "field grey" uniform is about right? Thanks to Ray Earle for the tip about the Foundry colour.

They took a while to paint but that was because I kept stopping to re-consider colours, etc. They are certainly easier to paint than the British!

I also chose a slightly more subdued basing scheme which I think somehow seems to suit the figures better?

Anyway, lots more to go! I'm planning to start with a 1918 Sturmabteilung force for WHW's The Great War rules. More about the force in a later post.

Comments