Dux Bellorum ... One Day!

A while back I ordered a heap of bases from Warbases in order to get a little further along the way to being able to play Dux Bellorum. However, my inner gaming butterfly soon flitted elsewhere and they were consigned to a storage box.

But ... now that I'm in the process of applying magentic basing I've been sorting out my Saxon forces and realised that I had more than a few Early Saxons (from the superb Musketeer range, sold by Gripping Beast) mixed in with my 9-11th century fellows. So, here they are on their as-yet-to-be-sanded-and-painted movement trays.

That's 1 x Companions, 2 x Noble Warriors, 3 x Ordinary Warriors and 2 x Skirmishers, giving a total of 26pts! All I need to do is paint a couple more Gedriht and 5 javelin armed Geoguth and that's an army ready to go! OK, I may also go through them and replace a few of the larger shields with bucklers as that's how I see them being equipped in the 5-6th centuries.

However, it's a slightly different story for my Romano-British ... as you can see in the pic below.

Rather more to do here methinks! That's 1 x Companions, 2 x Noble Shieldwall, 2 Ordinary Shieldwall and almost 1 x Skirmishers. Only 22 points, and quite a mix of figures, GB, Musketeer, West Wind and Artizan. Oh dear - more discipline is definitely required when buying toys. Fortunately they mix fairly well. What these chaps need (aside from a couple more packs of ordinary warriors) is some cavalry! Thankfully, there are several good ranges out there - my favourite is probably the new(ish) Arthurian cavalry from Musketeer.

So, still some work to do but I'm pleased to find that I have more troops ready than I realised. If anyone has any tips for players new to Dux Bellorum, e.g. army size, composition, key rules, etc, then please do let me know.

Comments