Lion Rampant?

If you've picked up the latest Wargames Illustrated (Issue 323) then you will have probably read about the new offering from Osprey Lion Rampant, penned by one of my favourite games designers, Dan Mersey. I already have his Dux Bellorum rules, which although I've not played, do look to be superb. Therefore I have high hopes for Lion Rampant.

The medieval era is one that really lights my imagination, whether it's early medieval such as Normans, Saxons, etc, or later such as the HYW or WotR. Not for nothing did I have a large Bretonnian host back in my WFB days! But ... I've never really enjoyed playing huge medieval battles. They always seem to be a bit "line up and bash each other" type games. So the idea of playing dynamic skirmish games with bold knights, trusty sergeants-at-arms is too good to pass up.

This really is a classic case of a wargamer seeing the latest shiny thing, but hey it's a hobby, so let's have fun!

Since I already have quite a few psuedo-medieval figures (from the aforementioned Bretonnian army) that would serve as as good stand-ins, then it's not quite such a daft plan as it might first appear. It certainly sounds like you don't need too many figures.

Speaking of figures ... Those plastics from Fire Forge Games look ace! Then there's the Perry plastics WR1,WR20,WR40 and WR50.

I'll defintely be getting a copy of this book!

Comments