Church and Graveyard

I've wanted to add a church to my Normandy collection for some time. Total Battle Miniatures do a beautiful church but at £60 it's way beyond my pocket! So instead I ordered up this from Hovels Ltd. Great value at just £13.50.
A couple of paras for scale

The casting was good with little trimming up required. The spire is a separate piece which makes storage a little easier. Make sure you give it a good wash before painting.

So that I could use it in different settings, that is as a standalone church or within a village perhaps. I decided to make a tile for the graveyard. The church could then just be placed on it. Again this would make storage easier.

The paved/tiled area is just some good quality printed card I picked up from my local model shop. I've applied some textured masonry paint so that the edge blends in nicely, plus it makes for a good path.

The area around the church will have a scatter of gravestones.

Painting the church was very straightforward. Undercoat with matt black spray, then apply successive drybrushed layers of Foundry Stone for the walls and Found Slate Grey for the roof. The actual effect is more dramatic than this picture suggests. They are quite different greys, honest!

The door is just dark brown such as Found Bay Brown shade highlighted with a faint drybrush of a Foundry Boneyard mid. The patches of mould in the stonework are simply a watered mid green that is given a highlight of watered yellow-green. Thinning the paint lets the stone show through in places.

Some of the gravestone were old metal items that I'd had in my bits box. I especially like the one covered in ivy with a raven on top - from Essex miniatures I think? The rest were simply off-cuts of plasticard that I trimmed in to various headstone shapes.

I decided to keep the gravestones quite sparse so as to make it easier to place and move figures during games.

Here's the finished article surrounded by stone walls. I made the gates from some odd bits of balsa. The graveyard was flocked and then spruced up with a selection of tufts, flowers and clump foliage.

Thanks for looking!

Comments