More Scenery - Narrow Roads

My social calendar has been pretty hectic recently but somehow I've still managed to squeeze in a bit of terrain building! I already have some roads that are about 3 inches wide but I wanted to add some narrower roads, i.e. lanes or tracks if you prefer.

Incidentally, I need these for the next game in the Normandy campaign - this provided the real spur to make them.

As with my other roads, it all starts with a 300mm x 300mm cork tile, 3mm thickness. My tracks are about 2 inches wide so I simply cut a number of strips, plus a couple of angled sections so that it could join the main road at a variety of angles. Trim the edges to about a 45 degree angle to better help them blend in to the table.

Painting: Texture the cork with fine masonry paint (add in a little fine grit for extra texture if you like). Drape the strips over thin paint brushes to prevent any curling as it dries. Then base coat with Americana Milk Chocolate, followed by dry brush highlights of Americana Honey Brown then a light cream colour, B&Q Harvest Field (DIY store tester pot) in this case.

The final stage is applying some flock to the edges and a bit in the centre. I used two different colours of grass, but that may not be clear in the photo.

To follow this is the bocage ... I need this as the next campaign table also includes a sunken lane. Thanks for looking :o)

Comments