Vineyard Test Piece

I've wanted to make a little vineyard for Peninsular battlefields for a while but with modelling projects I often like to make a test piece before launching a bigger effort. Anyway, here it is.

The figure is not very Napoleonic but he was very conveniently available! In the pics below you can hopefully see that I made the frame from a kebab stick held between two upright off-cuts of MDF which are glued to a strip of plasticard.

The anchor cables at each end are simply thin bits of electrical wiring.

The vines are more pieces of wire folded over the stick and twisted to look like gnarly vine stems.

The base was sanded and the whole lot painted in a dusty brown/sand/cream scheme. The vines were painted in a much darker brown. Then I glued small pieces of Woodland Scenics clump foliage along the entire stick. I aimed for a slightly irregular look. This piece is about 6 inches long. The 'full' vineyard will have 8 to 10 inch sections, probably half a dozen. I think for the next pieces I'll add a little textured paint to the vine stems to make them look less wiry and more gnarly. I reckon some of Colin's pantile walling would look good with them too :o)

Comments