Kings of War with Steve

Sunday night is club night for the Bristol Big’Uns so Steve and I recently met up for a game of Kings of War. He very kindly loaned me the use of his splendid Ogre army whilst he fielded his Samurai themed Kingdoms of Men.

Now, I’ve played a few games of ‘Kings’ over the last couple of years (may be half a dozen in total) and generally had quite a lot of fun, so I was looking forward to this game plus it’s always good to catch up with Steve, Rob, Alan, Simon, Dave, Nigel, etc.

We rolled for the scenario and got ‘control’ whereby at the end of the game we would divide the table in to 2 foot squares and work out who had the most troops and thus controlled the area.

Deployment was by alternating unit and was quite funny for me because I had very little idea of what my troops stats and abilities were, so I just deployed them to ‘look good’ :o)

Steve got the first go and began a fairly cautious advance; he had plenty of missile troops so a few turns of bows, arquebus and cannon fire were to be expected. My lads would just have to weather it! Anyway ... the most of the photos I took have blurred quite badly which is very annoying! So rather than give you a turn by turn account I’ll show some “random” pics of what turned out to be a thrilling and highly entertaining game.

Deployed and ready to go!

A closer shot of Steve's smashing Ogres

This mammoth is absolutely splendid (it did well in the game too)

The Ogre line wastes no time and steams across the table

Bang! Steve's cannon blasts a hole in my Siege-breakers

My General, Army Banner and the Seige-breakers deal it out to Steve's elites

At the end of turn 6 we rolled to see if there would be a turn 7, but the dice decreed that was it. Both sides had taken quite a pounding but I had a feeling I might just edge this for a win. Steve totted up the points in each of the areas and to my utter astonishment I had gained control of 5 of them! So it was a very solid victory for the Ogres. Another thoroughly enjoyable game against a fine gentleman, thanks Steve. Now I want my own Ogre army ... perhaps this was Steve’s plan all along?

Comments