Some 95th Rifles

Crikey! Real Life(tm) has been rather hectic recently...  When I haven't been working towards crazy deadlines I've been out having heaps of fun with my lovely girlfriend Sarah.  Anyway, I've managed to squeeze in a bit of brush time and fancied painting something a bit different.

The figures are Front Rank miniatures - beautiful sculpts!  The resin fountain is by Grand Manner and the church is from Charlie Foxtrot Models.

Painting Napoleonic figures has always been a slow process for me as I tend to get bogged down with lots of details.  So with these I've tried a slightly different approach.

The flesh is painted in the usual Foundry triad but most of the rest of the figure is just block painted or given a very quick single highlight.  I decided that lots of highlights and details are just lost when you're actually playing and viewing the figures from several feet away.  A friend (thanks Paul) suggested I follow the old adage of "faces, bases and flags"... no flags for these lads though!

So the basic recipe is:-
  • Flesh - Foundry Flesh shade/mid/light
  • Jackets, Cords and Plume - Foundry Dragoon Green shade plus quick highlights of mid
  • Trousers - either as jackets, or block painted Foundry Slate Grey or Chestnut shade
  • Packs, Straps and Boots - mostly black with highlights of Foundry Charcoal Black mid
  • Haversack - Foundry Boneyard shade/mid
  • Canteen & Strap - Foundry Night Sky shade/mid & Spearstaff Brown
  • Blanket Roll - Foundry Slate Grey shade/mid
  • Rifle - GW Scorched Brown & Foundry Conker Brown shade
  • Sergeant Strummer's sash - Foundry Conker Brown shade, Foundry Bright Red shade
Make sure any highlights are done quickly without any fuss.  Up close it can look a little untidy but on the table it looks fine.  One little indulgence to detail was to pick out the buttons first in black then silver.  I felt that really made a difference even at tabletop distance.

The basing scheme (trays by Charlie Foxtrot Models) is a mix of stones, coarse grit and sand.  Base coat with Americana Honey Brown, followed by highlights of VMC Dark Sand then Foundry Boneyard Light.  Finally, the tiniest highlight of pure white.  Then it's Colonel Bills (4Ground) Winter Grass, some tufts and a few clumps of Woodland Scenics foliage.

I'm keen to get a few more figures painted as I'm looking forward to playing some SP2 with an old friend in June.  When I say 'old friend' I don't mean he's old (Lol!), I mean he's been a friend since Uni days!
Sergeant Strummer gives the orders!

Thanks for looking!

Comments