Review of 2019

Inspired by George over at "Musings on Wargaming and Life" I'm taking a brief look back over 2019 from a gaming perspective...

It's certainly been quite a varied year of painting & modelling projects!  World War 2 has been the front runner with my DAK army getting ever larger.  Plenty of new additions for my desert terrain too.  Really enjoying this project.  Plus I dipped my toe in to Eastern Front gaming by starting to pick up a few figures for a Russian army.  Some of my "French/Belgian" scenery got a bit of a makeover and several new buildings were added.  I have quite a lot of scenery for this theatre but it's still good to keep adding more; Colin at Charlie Foxtrot keeps me well supplied with kits.  Also, my existing WW2 forces (Paras, Panzergrenadiers and British Regulars) all got a few bits and bobs - no army is ever truly complete!

I briefly dallied with Warlords of Erewhon but after a couple of games I decided that it wasn't my thing.  Pity really as I have a large Middle Earth collection of Uruks, Orcs, Goblins and Trolls that enjoy the taste of man-flesh.

Almost from out of nowhere Warhammer 40K appeared on my painting table.  (Thanks Rob 🤣).  It gave a wonderful sense of nostalgia and I really enjoyed building and painting the figures.  It's definitely something that I'll continue with but probably more of a background project.

Sharp Practice continues to inspire so there were further additions to my Napoleonic collection with both Rifles and Redcoats joining the ranks.  The Front Rank figures are beautiful sculpts.  A few scenic items were added too.

Like previous years I was lucky enough to help out at a few shows too.  Always a pleasure to chat to a wide range gamers about their projects plus help them invest in finely crafted MDF kits.  It’s also good to chew the fat with chums amongst the traders.

As for gaming there were Bolt Action campaigns in the desert, Chain of Command in Normandy and several excellent Sharp Practice weekends with old (and new) friends.  As I get my house more 'sorted' I aim to host more gaming weekends with friends as these are always a jolly good laugh.  One thing I learned this year was to not worry about blogging too many of these games simply because it allows me to focus on the games themselves rather than faff about taking pics and jotting notes.  Also, writing up lots of battle reports is quite time consuming and that's time I'd rather spend painting.

As for the gaming year ahead ... well, more of the same I expect!  I'd like to get my Desert Rats completed as then I'll be able to put on games of either BA or CoC and supply both sides - being a GM is always good fun and allows for more complex scenarios.  The scenery collection will definitely continue to grow as I work towards building a more extensive village/town collection. However, my desert terrain will need attention as I hope to add some adobe buildings, rocky outcrops, scatter items, livestock, etc.  I’d like to broaden the scope of this to include Sicily and Italy.  Then there’s the Eastern Front!  But it’s not all WW2... there’s the forthcoming TFL offering of “Infamy! Infamy!” or maybe Osprey’s “Lion Rampant”?

I'll just have to see where my wargaming butterfly takes me 😊

Happy New Year!

Comments