Early War Calling

The Early War in Europe is, in my humble opinion, quite fascinating.  Whether it's the myth surrounding "blitzkrieg", or the astonishing collapse of France - considered to be the world's pre-eminent military power, or the adoption of new tactics and technology many of which were effectively lessons learned from the Great War, it's jolly interesting stuff and bursting with potential for some very satisfying wargames.

My Desert War project has reached the point where I have two substantial forces and lots of scenery, so I feel I can simply add the odd unit/vehicle/building as and when I fancy without it being one of those half finished projects many of us wargamers know only too well.

So my attention is being drawn to the Early War theatre.  Looking at my existing collection of (nominally late war) British I note that many of the figures are perfectly suitable for the early war era too.  Obviously equipment such as Sten guns and PIATs will have to stay in the box.  As will the few chaps with webbing covering their helmets.  But with the addition of just a couple of packs of figures I should have enough to field a decent sized force.  My Germans are definitely late war so only a handful will be suitable for 1940, but I'm going to focus on the British first.

In preparation I've acquired these two fine publications.

and


So, lots of interesting reading ahead!  Things might go a little quiet here on the blog for the next few weeks but rest assured normal service will resume.


Happy VE Day!

Comments