Fields of Glory

Or possibly "Wargaming BBC Gardeners' World" ... there are a plethora of not-very-funny options! But first, for my non-UK based visitors I should explain the BBC Gardeners' World is a weekly gardening TV magazine programme from the BBC, from Spring to Autumn, about all things gardening. I must confess that I do occasionally watch this programme.

Anyway, here's the gaming stuff.

I've wanted to build some fields/garden for a while. The original plan had simply been to build a few ploughed fields but the modeller in me took over so now I have a couple of what are more like gardens, plus a small ploughed field. Here's some pics.

Fields & Gardens
(click for a larger image)

I prefer scenery to be usable for a variety of historical periods, so here's some redcoats (L-R Perry's plastic and two Front Rank) defending a field of produce from Boney's horde.

Fields & Gardens
(click for a larger image)

From the other side of the fence. (Wood courtesy of your favourite coffe shop)

Fields & Gardens
(click for a larger image)

This definitely more of a garden, so perhaps the leaning towards the Great War is understandable. The Hun certainly aren't going to get at these potatoes and carrots without a fight!

Fields & Gardens
(click for a larger image)

The same garden from a different angle.

Fields & Gardens
(click for a larger image)

This meant to be a ploughed field but in this shot it's very difficult to see the plough lines.

Fields & Gardens
(click for a larger image)


Hopefully this pic puts things in context. I had planned to do a step-by-step for these but simply forgot. However, they started as plain pieces of 3mm MDF with chamfered sides. The edges and ploughed ridges were built up using cheap filler and the whole lot was covered in PVA and fine sand. Painting is Vallejo Flat Earth followed by a number of very light browns and cream. The ruined wall is 3mm foamcore with plasticard tiles on top. The gate posts are simply 5x5mm balsa. Wooden fencing supplied by a well known coffee company. The hedges and other plants are mostly Woodland Scenics foliage. Then I've added some Mini-natur plants

Now ... where can I find a 28mm figure of Alan Titchmarsh wielding an AK47?

Enjoy.

Comments

  1. Those look really good, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh - I like a lot! Will have to make some myself, though I think I will use corregated cardboard to build the raised beds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks chaps! :o)

    @Paul - corrugated board, good idea.

    Cheers

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice work, I like them a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Splendid stuff. I wish my garden looked that neat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent fields. Very smart, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great looking fields. always make the wargame table come alive

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a very nice paint effect, especially the earth colours. I've become distinctly unsatisfied with my toylike painting techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is how it came out Matt:

    http://tasmancave.blogspot.com/2011/07/furrowed-field.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done! Glad my efforts have inspired you.

    BTW - Good blog you have there.

    Cheers

    Matt

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment