Vineyards Revisited

After seeing vines on Pat Smith’s fabulous Silver Whistle blog and then getting a copy of his superb book on Mediterranean terrain, I resolved to crack on with my own efforts. A few years back I made a test piece, here, using whatever I could find in my bits box. So I recently made another 7 pieces in the same style.


Construction was quite straightforward. Build the posts and rails from coffee stirrers and kebab sticks.

Add vines using strands of twisted garden wire, plus a few rocks. Each end has a piece of wire as a kind of ‘guy rope’ with a little wooden peg in the ground.

Paint the posts and base, then attach clump foliage. I used Bostik all purpose clear glue; a bit messy but quite effective. Start with clumps above the vine then spread out along the rail.

Good chum Orange Dave has recently made some absolutely superb vines! You might have seen his post on FB.

Together these will be ideal for our forthcoming homegrown Chain of Command campaign set on Crete.

Comments