Vikings for Saga

I'll start with a quick apology for the blog being so quiet for so long. This has been due to raft of recent real-life stuff, holidays and more recently being rather poorly.

Right then, on to the toy soldier stuff!


Having seen the splendid results achieved by a variety of other gamers using the dip (e.g. Phil Hendry, Saxon Dog, etc) I thought I'd give it a whirl for getting my Saga warbands ready for action. I had a few plastic Gripping Beast Vikings ready so I sprayed them white and set to. Here they are.



and



The armour was painted black then thoroughly drybrushed with GW Mithril Silver until it was really silver (as advised by Phil - thanks). The flesh was painted in GW Dwarf Flesh then very quickly highlighted with Found Base Sand Light. Everything else was mainly a Foundry 'light' shade with a few GW browns - no highlights.

Then I brushed on the dip, ensuring that it did not pool anywhere on the figure. Give the dip 24 hours to dry properly before spraying with a good quality matt varnish. It was at this point that I had a few problems with the cold, damp weather. The figures went cloudy!!!

Top tip - if figures go cloudy then re-spray with a gloss varnish.

I eventually got the spray to work ok (by doing it indoors!). In future, if the weather is anything but warm and dry then I'll use a brush on matt varnish instead. After that I did some very quick highlights (and I do mean quick) of some of the base colours, i.e. red, green, boneyard, etc. The great part is that the dip shows you exactly where the highlight is required, plus it really makes the figures look less dipped, and the highlights give the colours more depth. I'm quite pleased with the results. Hope you like them too.

Comments

  1. Very fearsome looking vikings! You can't really tell they've been dipped at all!

    Lots of impressive Saga stuff on the blogosphere lately! Keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work. Did you use the Army Painter stuff or Minwax?

    You've given me the push to try it out on my upcoming Anglo-Danish warband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking figures, keep us posted on the rest of your warband

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some great looking Viking!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really nice looking Vikings. The shields look very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jolly nice.
    Glad you overcame the dreaded "Varnish Fug"

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the kind words chaps!

    The 'dip' is AP Strong tone and the shields are LBMS.

    Next on the painting table are my Saxons.

    Cheers

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really good! That's the same technique I now use. Much quicker than muli-layering and looks bloomin' great!! Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw your comments on the WAB forum about the varnish clouding the figures. I call this the 'sugar coated frosting of doom' and yes you are right, best way to avoid it is not to use spray varnish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment