Sand Style Basing Test Piece

A quick post today... I have in mind a project for next year that would involve a more sandy style of basing so I've been experimenting to see what might work best. Here's what I've come up with.



These were done using GW 50x50mm bases covered in sand/grit then painted using the following colours: A good base coat of Vallejo 877 Gold Brown, followed by a heavy drybrush of 912 Tan Yellow, then a light drybrush of 847 Dark Sand. The static grass is the darker 'autumn grass' (GW's I think) then a couple of 'mini-natur' grass tufts to finish off the more arid appearance. What do you think?

For the project I'd also need to make a new battlefield, probably 6'x4' in three 4'x2' sections, plus some suitable terrain, etc. So it's not going to be soon - although I've already bought some of the figures! The battlefield will probably make use of the remainder of a large can of sand coloured masonry paint I bought earlier this year. Very handy indeed!

Comments